Works In Progress Quarterly Colloquium
How it Works
At Works In Progress Colloquiums, two faculty presenters submit works-in-progress in advance of the meeting. Faculty and graduate student members read and respond at quarterly group meetings. The tightly-structured format provides substantive feedback to the author and stimulates cross-disciplinary discussion.
- Strengthen individual research projects with cross-disciplinary critique from experts,
- Broaden the research that emerges so that it reaches a broader academic audience and general audience,
- Mentor graduate students who are at the dissertation level in the process of writing and revision,
- Instruct graduate students how to balance interest in “food studies” with solid expertise in their discipline,
- Retain the internationally recognized food scholars in our group and recruit the strongest graduate students working on food in our respective disciplines, and
- Increase the prestige of the University of California through the publicity of our works in progress, members, and publications record.